domingo, 19 de julho de 2009

PREPARATION AND DEPARTURE FOR AMERICA

Srila Swami Maharaja spent considerable time in Delhi before he went to America. This is where he was printing and distributing his books. He had published three volumes of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Several times I went there to be with him and we stayed together in his rooms at the Chippiwada Radha-Krsna Temple. He preached vigorously in Delhi. Wherever he went he preached to the public. To everyone he met he spoke about Radha-Krsna and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mission. He also engaged me along beside him. When he was in America, he wrote and encouraged me to continue preaching to the people he had cultivated there. (Appendix 9)

When Swamiji was leaving to go to America, he described everything to me about his travel plans. He told me how in Bombay he had been given a ticket to travel across the Atlantic Ocean to Boston by freighter. He explained his route and his plans when he would arrive there. He had great faith and a careful preaching strategy. His goal was to set up a Vaisaava institute and dormitory there in the videshi (Western) countries. Showing such confidence in the Holy Name, he said that even if at first the new students felt that they must take meat or wine, he would do what was necessary to begin their Krsna consciousness. Several times he asked me to accompany him. I begged him that I could not go without the permission of my Gurudeva who had personally ordered me to manage the manha in Mathura.

One day he announced to me, "Now the time has come and I am going." He was leaving for the Port of Calcutta and was to visit Mayapur also. I came and said good-bye and I took his footdust and put it on my head. Before he left he requested me to keep a regular correspondence with him, which we did. We wrote so many letters to each other in those next years. A few of these are printed in the pamphlet, "Srila Prabhupada's Letters from America". Unfortunately, most of his other letters to me were loaned and have not yet been returned. (Appendix 10)

Later he wrote to me to send him his books from his room in Mathura. So many of his thick volumes were stored in his almira. They were very dusty and for one entire day I cleaned and packed many boxes of his books. Then we shipped those books by boat to New York . When we visited his rooms in the Los Angeles temple I was touched to see many of those same books still there in his bookshelves. I tried faithfully to carry out all of the services he requested in his letters to me. (Appendix 11)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário



Sri Guru-vandana

.
The Worship of Sri Guru
(from Prema-bhakti-candrika)
.

1
sri-guru-carana-padma, kevala-bhakati-sadma,
bando mui savadhana mate
jahara prasade bhai, e bhava toriya jai,
krsna-prapti hoy jaha ha'to

2
guru-mukha-padma-vakya, cittete koriya aikya,
ar na koriho mane asa
sri-guru-carane rati, ei se uttama-gati,
je prasade pure sarv asa

3
cakhu-dan dilo jei, janme janme prabhu sei,
divya-jnan hrde prokasito
prema-bhakti jaha hoite, avidya vinasa jate,
vede gay jahara carito

4
sri-guru karuna-sindhu, adhama janara bandhu,
lokanath lokera jivana
ha ha prabhu koro doya, deho more pada-chaya,
ebe jasa ghusuk tribhuvana

TRANSLATION

1
The lotus feet of our spiritual master are the only way by which we can attain pure devotional service. I bow to his lotus feet with great awe and reverence. By his grace one can cross the ocean of material suffering and obtain the mercy of Krsna.

2
My only wish is to have my consciousness purified by the words emanating from his lotus mouth. Attachment to his lotus feet is the perfection that fulfills all desires.

3
He opens my darkened eyes and fills my heart with transcendental knowledge. He is my Lord birth after birth. From him ecstatic prema emanates; by him ignorance is destroyed. The Vedic scriptures sing of his character.

4
Our spiritual master is the ocean of mercy, the fiend of the poor, and the lord and master of the devotees. O master! Be merciful unto me. Give me the shade of your lotus feet. Your fame is spread all over the three worlds.
Gardenia - Radican

Maha Mantra

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare



LOTUS

Jaya Srila Gurudeva , Srila Prabhupada Ki Jay !

All glories to Sri Guru and Gauranga!

All glories to Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada !

Gaura premanande Haribol!